Saturday, November 26, 2011

Crocheting for Christmas...

     Wow, where to begin?  The gifts, the decorations, the kitchen items!?  The list is endless and seems to grow with each day!  Too much yarn, too many patterns, and only one Purple Hooker makes for very busy days!   

     Let's see, I have some Christmas trees to make, let me start there.  I received a pattern in an email from a friend, after admiring her tree.  It is such a great pattern, I will share it with you below.  The pattern calls for support so it can be placed on a table.  I made 2 the other day for a set of 2 year old twins... I left out the support, didn't want them killing themselves with the things!  The trees were so incredibly cute, and they stand up quite well on their own.  Even the kids' parents loved the trees.

    I next made a pink and purple tree, still a W.I.P., for a little 4 year old girl who will be spending Christmas in rehab after having her appendix burst and the doctors not realizing what was wrong until it was almost too late. When my oldest was 6, we had a blue flocked tree, so I figure I can make Hannah a pink and purple tree.

    I have a wonderful friend who teaches at an elementary school in Odessa, Texas.  I asked her before making the tree, since she teaches in a public school and that is such a touchy situation these days...I didn't want to get her in trouble because I love my yarn so much and need people to give to.  I am right now working on the little ornaments for her tree, and later today I hope to have it all put together.

     Then there is my own little tree, a hooker can't make something so cute for everyone else and not make one to keep and enjoy... I am pretty sure that is a law!  My tree will be bigger, since when making something for yourself, you always know EXACTLY what to do to make it a hit!  Hookers among you will understand that!  So far for my tree, I have a few tiers.  Who knows how many tiers I will end up with, I will know only when I have enough :-)

     Once the trees are done, I have stockings to make... I haven't figured out exactly what to do there, but that is a few days away.  Then there are coasters to make, ornaments for friends, gifts that I haven't even started, and who knows what else will pop up on my radar as a MUST make!!

    Oh, and I am working on a wreath...just have a bow to make for that.  Here is the pattern I used for that, http://planetmfiles.com/2010/11/07/free-crochet-wreath-pattern/ ,I used Red Heart Mistletoe yarn instead of the fall colors, and my bow will be solid red.  I will post a picture today or tomorrow of it once it is finished.



CROCHET CHRISTMAS TREE


MATERIALS:
•    28-35 ozs. green knitting worsted, medium weight.  I use Red Ball "Christmas green."
•    size H hook for tree
•    7-9 ozs. green or white metallic or angora yarn for trim
•    size F hook for trim
•    1/3" wooden dowel
•    green spray paint
•    14-oz. tuna or chicken can, washed, with label removed
•    metal or plastic piping just large enough to accommodate the dowel*
•    plaster of Paris
•    hex nuts and metal washers one size larger than dowel, for spacers

TREE PROCEDURE:
Use green worsted and size H hook.  Turn after each round.

Top section
Row 1:    Ch 4, join with sl st to form a ring.  Ch 1, 10 sc in ring, join.
Row 2:    Ch 3, 5 dc in each sc, join.  (50 dc total)
Row 3:    Ch 3, 3 dc in each dc, join and break off.  (150 dc total)

Second Section
Row 1:    Ch 4, join with sl st to form a ring.  Ch 1, 10 sc in ring, join.
Row 2:    Ch 3, 2 dc in each sc, join.  (20 dc total)
Row 3:    Ch 3, 3 dc n each dc, join.  (60 dc total)
Row 4:    Ch 3, repeat row 3 and break off.  (180 dc total)

Third Section
Row 1:    Ch 4, join with sl st to form a ring.  Ch 1, 10 sc in ring, join.
Rows 2, 3, 4:    Ch 3, 2 dc in each sc, join.  (20, 40, 60 dc total)
Row 5:    Ch 3, 3 dc in each ed, join and break off.  (240 dc total)

Fourth Section
Row 1:    Ch 4, join with sl st to form a ring.  Ch 1, 10 sc in ring, join.
Rows 2 - 6:    Ch 3, 2 dc in each sc, join and break off.  (20, 40, 80, 160, 320 dc total)

Fifth Section
Do same as Fourth Section, but with 7 rows.

You can make this tree as large as you wish by making additional sections, each with an extra row.  The tree pictured above has seven sections.

Trim
Sc in each stitch around the edge of each section using the trim yarn and the F hook.  For a fuller look, you can put two sc into each edge stitch, to accommodate the difference in weight between the yarn and the thread.  (Note that the amount of metallic thread given at the top is for one sc in each stitch.)


TOP OF TREE
You can trim the top of the tree with a star or angel ornament, or anything else you want. You can hot-glue it into place or leave it loose to facilitate dismantling the tree from the top.  (See Assembly instructions below.)

Or you can crochet a topper cone out of the same green yarn you used for the tree:

Supplies
F hook
green yarn

Instructions
Ch 2 and make 3sc.
Make 2sc in each. (6sc)
2sc, sc, 2sc, sc, sc, sc. (8sc)
2sc in the first sc; sc the rest. (9sc)
Sc for 1 round.
2sc, sc, sc, 2sc, sc, sc, sc, 2sc, sc. (12sc)
Sc for 1 round.
2sc, sc, sc, sc, 2sc, sc, sc, sc, 2sc, sc, sc. (15sc)
Sc for 2 rounds.
2sc in the first sc; sc the rest. (16sc)
Sc for 2 rounds.
Join, snip, leaving a 10-inch tail.

ASSEMBLY
*These instructions assume that you want to be able to disassemble the tree for storage.

Determine how tall you want the tree to be, top to table.  Cut the dowel to that length and spray-paint it if you wish.

Cut the tubing to the height of the tuna can plus 3".  Close one end with a piece of tape.

Fill the tuna can with plaster of Paris.  Sink the tubing, taped end down, into the center of the wet plaster and leave until set.  You may have to put a piece of tape over the top and down to the can to guy it in place so it remains vertical.

When dry, insert the dowel into the tubing.

Slip the tree sections over the top, largest first.  Separate the sections with hex-nuts, with a washer on top of each spacer to evenly distribute the weight of the crocheted layers.  Experiment with the hex nuts to get the height you want; fewer make for a shorter chubby tree, while more make it taller and slimmer.

Top with whatever you have chosen.  You can balance a hollow angel on the top of the dowel.  If you prefer to hot-glue the topper in place, you can then disassemble the tree by pulling the dowel out of the tubing and removing the layers and spacers from the bottom.

I cut mini-poinsettias off the main stem, leaving the short ones, which I thread through the edges of the layers.  I suggest hot-gluing the blooms onto the short stems first, because they pop out easily.

If you don’t intend to disassemble the tree, dispense with the tubing and sink the dowel directly into the plaster of Paris.  Guy it in place with tape to ensure that it’s perfectly vertical as it dries.   Hot-glue the spacers and tree sections in place.  Hot-glue the trim onto the sections; I use tiny birds, colorful beads, or mini candy-canes.


For my star, I used the star from this pattern: http://www.sugarncream.com/pattern.php?PID=3088&cps=21191.  I made 2 and then whip stitched them together.

2 comments:

  1. i LOVE the tree!!! Still too new to crocheting to even attempt it this year, but I really want to try it at some point. It would be perfect for me to have on my desk at school (because, like you said, it's kinda one of those touchy things, but we all need a bit of Christmas with us at work).:) Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenni, this pattern is SOOOO easy!! And if you miss a stitch or something, it is a forgiving pattern...believe me, I know! I would see something, and just leave it and keep going. The ornaments are incredibly easy, in fact, my husband was tasked with making them!!

    ReplyDelete