Monday, November 23, 2020

How To Make A Nylon Pot Scrubber


 About 7 years ago, I started selling crochet items at the local farmers market. The director kept asking me to make pot scrubbers. I resisted for 2 months, thinking every pattern I had seen was pretty ugly. Then it occurred to me, the poof was not the way to go! I could just make 2 circles and attach them together.

It worked! I took some pot scrubbers to the next market, and they were a hit!! I no longer sell at the market, but people hunt me down to buy my scrubbies!! They are a HUGE hit at Christmas time, especially with the ladies at church!

So what's the deal with these things, anyway? These pot scrubbies are simply amazing! I made them in 2 sizes, for about a year. I made some 1 round larger, but I decided this size is best. You can make them larger, if you like.

To begin to make a pot scrubber, you need tulle. Yep, the stuff you think of when you think cute little ballerina tutu!! Okay, so not quite the same stuff, you want tulle with a bigger open net. You'll want a tulle that is softer enough to be pliable, yet stiff than the tutu skirt.  I usually buy my tulle in 10 yard segments, since that creates long pieces of tulle to work with. You can buy any amount you want, but I try to avoid 5 yard segments... The knots hit right where you don't want them, almost every scrubbie. So guess how much of this bright green I bought! 5 yards!! Yeah, I didn't plan that well. 

Once you have purchased your tulle, you'll want to refold it. You don't have to refold it, you will just have 45 inch long strips. If you fold it the other way, it takes a few minutes but you'll have longer strips and fewer knots.  

Lay the folded tulle on a cutting mat and cut it into 2 inch wide strips. You don't need to have a fancy cutting wheel and mat for this part, your scissors will work just fine! It's just a little faster with the cutter and wheel.



 After you have cut your strips, tie them together with simple granny knots. This is one of the very rare times you will see me tell you to tie a knot. Knots are not my friends. Roll the strips into a ball as you tie them together. 


Now you're ready to make your scrubbie! 




1 comment: